Thursday 5 August 2010

Wow what a productive few weeks! The work I'm making for the show is a series of sculptures, which stand on their own as individual pieces but are also interlinked. I began the project by gathering all leftover materials in my new space and intuitively making objects. I have always had an experimental and free way of working within my studio. My space is always filled with eclectic bits and pieces. I know it's good to clear things out; unfortunately I am also a hoarder! I also find myself building on objects again maybe a while after initially making them. An important part of my work is my shopping! I am continuously looking for new materials. Recently, I have found car boot sales to be the most fruitful. But also, having a tendency towards the ephemeral, even trips to the supermarket usually end up sculpture related. I have already uploaded a few of my first objects. During a tutorial, Gordon and I discussed the way in which I place these pieces on boards. For me, this is a way of separating them from just the studio floor and trying to view them in a cleaner environment so I can assess the next move. But we discussed the boards as something I could take forward on to the exhibition.
The objects made in my studio, I had long considered not worthy of entering an exhibition space. I would enjoy the process thoroughly and then ponder ways in which I could develop the initial experiment into something to show. I now believe that these combinations of materials and processes are my practice. Taking this onboard, for the forthcoming degree show, I wanted to find the best way of presenting them. I didn’t want to just place them on just plinths; I felt they needed more of an ‘edge’. So I collected ‘bases’ around college and the city. These could be; plinths, boxes, furniture and my own constructed items.
Moving from the studio into the exhibition space was key. On a practical level I was running out of room to work but also it got me in the mindset of the exhibition and how my works might and interact in the space.

No comments:

Post a Comment