Thursday 5 August 2010




Tutorial with Kenny Hunter, 26th July.

During my tutorial with Kenny, we talked about how editing was going to a primary issue with resolving my work for the show. The success of the work is going to be in how well I manage to edit and college things together. We talked about how the work still has an element of sex, with the provocative writing on plinths, smells of perfume, and colours of black and red together and, more overtly, casts of male sex organs. Kenny commented on how despite this, there is also a trashy element to the work, as well as humorous. The tutorial helped me to think about the importance of layout of my bases and how I could manipulate them in order to enrich the piece as a whole. We discussed the balance between incorporating a studio object, with some text, on an object= things start to happen! Looking into sculpture..sex & a throwaway society..trying to create riddle from the floor up.

We discussed the narratives arising around the work. Subjects dealing with, sex, glamour, also all the other baggage with it. The sculptural baggage, interest in materials, in casting, failed casting, metaphor for a failed relationship, doesn’t quite live up to the promise..

The suitcase piece in particular offers an almost British idea of sex. Empty coffee shops abandoned at the airport, or picnics. Stacking of the cups, very sculptural, multiples. As well as being a work about time, waiting.

The work with the wedding cake. I have incorporated a dress template. This work has a strong notion of domesticity, housewife, cake making..dress making. The start of a life, with the lampshade waiting to be covered and fitted. We worked on gaining a good layout of line and space within the piece. It is reminiscent of a depressing shop display. Whilst putting these elements together, it is then a question of: Is that the right studio object? Maybe it then becomes of re-making it in order to fit the base or changing it entirely.

We talked about settling for five sculptures in the ECA space. In the Cowgate, a smaller space, I envisage I will include 2- max 3. I currently have 13 objects. This is a good position to be in, rather than thinking that I haven't got enough so will have to put everything in, I will have to be selective. I can still place the rejected objects within my studio space for assessment.

No comments:

Post a Comment