Saturday 14 August 2010





Always the pretty one, board, lampshade, rolled blind, plaster, chalk, breeze block, dress, 2010









I thought of you continuously,
wood, stool, wheels, paint, candles, elephant, 2010








I wanted to keep my statement quite down to earth. I am not interested in applying lots of art theory onto these works. My intention for the statement was to inform the viewer of how I approach making my work. It's honest and a good summary of my relationship to sculpture. The last paragraph commments on how on how the viewer might recieve the work. It is not too directational as the main focus is on intuitive and individual response.

The quote below is included in my artist statment. It is a quote from my favourite author Angela Carter. This text is taken from her novel 'The Bloody Chamber' a selection of short stories. Carter has an interest in the myths and stories of Western culture as well as the theories of Freud and Lacan. Her writing style is vivid, theatrical and full of extravagant narratives and sex. I find her writing incredibily inspirational for my sculpture.Her writing is often, wrongly, stated as being adult fairy tales, but what Carter intended was to: 'extract the latent content from the traditional stories and use it as beginnings of new stories'. I feel the same way about aspects of my art. In using the found materials, the viewer immediately engages with intuitive thoughts related to that objects function but the context is different. Placing it with contrasting materials, the object has a new story. I chose this particular quote, as I enjoy how one element affects another, almost like a tiny story within one sentence. I would like to think that these steps might be mentally taken by the viewer,as they see the work, where it is placed, in it's setting, amongst other works, and they begin to associate with it. Observe it and notice details, their own analysis is individual and the work becomes part of the viewer in a subtle but unique way.

“The bunch of keys lay, where he had left them, on the rug before the library fire which had warmed their metal so that they no longer felt cold to the touch but warm, almost, as my own skin” Angela Carter, The Bloody Chamber, 1979.

No comments:

Post a Comment