Wednesday 11 August 2010

Wednesday




Today, I had all our catalogues printed (100). I also got a book out on artist Isa Genzken. An artist who Dean and I discussed during a tutorial. I do like her work but I prefer the works which have geometric concrete forms on top of steel frames rather than her mixed media pieces which are more chaotic. My work is similar in the sense that I like using found objects but it is very different in that my work has a clarity and simplicity to them. I find Genzken's a bit stressful to look at sometimes.

I also sent in my images for the external relations at ECA. They were interested in my work so have requested some more info on the works which I am compiling for them at the moment.

Sorted the base for the front board on my "housewife" piece (temporary title!!) added what Dean called 'punctuation' by including some chalk which I used to coat the stone on the bottom. I really like the effect of this. I need to move the beige plinth slightly more forward but I think it has come together well. I tried a variety of different bases for the board, such as wood blocks, bricks, vase etc The vase didn't work as I needed something to give the work more weight as the top with the dress template is very delicate so I needed a strong base to weight it down.

I spent a long time today trying to make decisions on which works to transport to the copy shop tomorrow. Finding this editing business pretty difficult! Have had some second opinions from the rest of the artists. I am quite attached to all the works now, having got rid of the three that I felt unsure about early this morning. I seem to have lost the ability to be objective. I am cautious about doubling up on works in the two spaces as there are a few pieces which have some similarities. I have not produced work like this before (in the past I have made immersive installations.. or just one individual work on it's own). This is the first time I have made a series of works. The show is looking strong. Catriona's wall drawing is up and Diane has completed her thread/sink piece. Lindsey has begun hanging her paintings and drawings. I now have these works in the backdrop whilst thinking about the placement of my work... to be cont

We had a discussion of whether we would include artist's statements. I think we should as the show is exciting and dynamic but there is a lot to take in and I think some information could be useful. I am currently working on my statement along with my titles. Titles will be important with this body of work as they will help encourage a narrative and also help in distinguishing them individually.

On a side note... look at the organised rubbish on my walk to college!

No comments:

Post a Comment